11 Gift ideas for High School Seniors before going to college:
Graduating from high school is a bittersweet milestone for most graduates as they step into their new lives. Many choose to go to college, take a gap year travelling or start work, but regardless of their choice they can always benefit from a thoughtful and useful gift that can help them in their next adventure. We have compiled a list of gift ideas for your graduate that they can enjoy wherever their future take them.
- Carry-on bag – Many high school graduates do not have a suitcase after they graduate. This is an essential gift that will accompany them in their next adventure, future travels and setting the stage for what this new chapter will bring.
- Coffee Maker – If your graduate is a coffee lover (like meJ) there is nothing better than having your own coffee machine in your dorm, especially as dining halls are not known for their delicious coffees. Not only is it more convenient, but you can always make it to-go for class or work.
- Personalized Tumbler/Water Bottle – An insulated water bottle is a popular choice for a gift. This helps your graduate to keep their drinks hot or cold wherever they go. Plus, don’t forget that you can customize it with their college logo, favorite color, initials, stickers or even a picture with friends and family. Pro tip: make sure it is dishwasher safe.
- Portable Charger – A portable charger is always useful to help your graduate stay connected during their long days of classes or work. Having that extra battery pack for their phone or laptop comes in handy as they can power their devices while they commute.
- Portable Speaker - Consider a portable speaker with great sound quality, battery life and as an extra waterproof. This is a gift your high school graduate would love when hosting their friends, listening to music in their dorm and have it on-the-go for their travels.
- College merch – There is nothing better than to see your high school graduate excited for their new college adventure. Giving them college gear is a way to be proud and represent the college they are attending. They will use that gear from the first day through game days, and as alumni!
- Laptop – I know, they can be expensive but they are a tool that your graduate will appreciate a lot. A laptop is very useful as they go to college since they will use it to complete their homework, study and take notes. You should consider this gift idea if your graduate does not have a laptop or has an outdated one.
- Professional and light backpack – If there is something that all graduates take everywhere other than their phone and wallet is their backpack with their laptop and notebooks. Look for a durable, comfortable and lightweight backpack since it will be one that they will use throughout their years at college.
- Noise cancelling headphones – These are a great gift for upcoming college students since they are useful for studying, focusing on homework or relaxing with music. Inevitably, chances are throughout their college years they will have to deal with noisy colleagues and having a way to block that comes in handy. We recommend looking for a balance in sound quality, comfort and noise cancellation.
- Mattress topper – If you have ever slept in a college dorm mattress you know how uncomfortable it can be. Your high school graduate will be grateful for a mattress topper that adds extra cushioning for them to sleep better.
- Personalized picture frame – If you are looking for a memory or souvenir for your graduate to take with them, a picture frame is a great gift! Frame a photo of their friends, family, pets or hometown so they can keep with them through their new chapter. Pro tip: if you don’t think they would like a framed picture, you can also look at key chains, photo album or personalized coffee mug.